Thursday 16 April 2009

The Church - part one




I went back to the church.

Well not exactly. I didn’t go back to the Catholic Church. Growing up Catholic I had all the same problems with Catholicism that many people do. The Church’s views on birth control, premarital sex, women as leaders of the church, divorce, gay and lesbian rights, were all opposite mine. After high school I very rarely thought about organized religion but never forgot God.

This changed when Deaglan came along. I started to think about baptism. I had been baptized but Shaune had not. I spoke to him about my growing desire to get the baby baptized. He completely surprised me by saying he would leave the decision to me.

Shaune has had some strong opinions about organized religion. When I listened to his arguments sometimes I wondered if he thought all religions were really cults in disguise. But mostly I could understand why he felt so strongly; you wouldn’t have to look much further than the nightly news to see all the insane things people will do in the name of religion.

We talked about it several times over a few months. We both agreed that it would be nice to get to know some of the people in our community and to be more involved in charitable work. We also thought it would give Deaglan a spiritual foundation which he could choose to carry on when he got older. But we felt it was important to set some boundaries. We were dead set against joining any church that might judge us or others, or tell us how to behave or ask us to impose our beliefs on others.

We found the United Church of Canada.

10 comments:

  1. Good for you! I think that is so great. And so important to raise kids with some sort of foundation. I grew up in a church that I still do not agree with 100% {it's not that bad that I feel I shouldn't go there. I just don't agree on everything, you know?}. I don't claim the church doctrine, I claim Jesus. That is what matters most.

    Your son is so cute! I'm stopping over from Jen's. Your comment about praising our husbands when we can made me laugh. That sounds like me, b/c my husband is just not so handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As parents, I think it is important to give our children some kind of religious foundation. Deaglan can only benefit from an increased awareness of God, community, fellowship and good will. I'm very interested to learn more about your church. I look forward to hearing more in your next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cool. I hope you find a wonderful new community and fabulous new friends, as church can do for you sometimes.

    Your writing reminds me of the author of Eat, Pray, Love, one of my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loathe church and religion for many reasons, but i know it helps many, many people. so if it works for you and your family, GO FOR IT!!! and if you are unhappy with one church, i am sure you can find another that will suit your needs best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope you've found somewhere you can feel comfortable and at home - that's so important in a church. Keep us posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you found somewhere where you both feel comfortable. I agree, the support and community will be wonderful for all three of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're searching for a church to call home too. I got an email this morning that "sitting in church doesn't make you spiritual any more than sitting in your garage makes you a car"

    Find a place where you feel comfortable and connected enough that you look forward to going... because, for me, that's the jumping off point to find my personal connection with the Lord.

    I can't very well nurture my kids' faith/spirituality if I'm lacking it myself, you know.
    Love your blog, love your stories and your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful. Listen to your heart and you will know when you find "home/community".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reply from my post...I gave up on pantyhose. They just seem unnatural to me. I have worn them once in 6 years. :) Here's to more casual opportunities-Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I share Shaune's strong opinions about religion, but I agree that it will be great to meet friends and other families.

    Hope your new church is a good match!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!