Sunday 13 December 2009

Sunday Citar



I've always loved the first two lines of this Khalil Gibran poem. But recently I read the entire thing and it stopped me. It is rich and layered and inspires me to be the best parent I can be. I hope your Sunday has been simple and happy.

Your children are not your children.

They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They come through you but not from you,

And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,

For they have their own thoughts. You may house their bodies but not their souls,

For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.

For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.

Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;

For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Kahlil Gibran

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Very profound. I like this very much!

    Thanks for posting. Glad you're starting to feel better! Thanks for the update via email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem! So truly said. Thamks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. Thank you Kim for this beautiful post. Hope you are well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Instinctively, I've always known this. I think that's why I don't shrivel up and mourn when my children leave me. They are only doing what they must do, what is natural. Hope all is well with you. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Prophet is one of my most well-read books. I love what he says about Marriage and Friendship, too. Thanks for sharing his words again. They never cease to bring feelings of joy or sorrow to the surface for me to enjoy again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, it is an extraordinarily beautiful poem!!! So poignant!! So wise...Thanks for sharing this!!! Love it!!! How are you feeling? Sending you love and warm thoughts! Janine XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always liked this passage, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!