I was thinking about this all last week while with a throbbing head and clogged sinuses I tried everything under the sun to relieve the kids' discomfort and bring down their fevers. Naveen kept clawing at me as if to say make it stop Mommy. And Deaglan was very articulate in letting me know that his body hurt, his neck ached, and even that his mouth didn't feel good.
We were almost out of the woods but then Deaglan caught it again. High fever, body aches, runny nose. Around and around.
It hasn't been all phlegm and headaches though. Naveen is almost crawling. He's doing that thing where he uses his arms to drag his body to his destination. And Deaglan is his usual charming self. Here are a few things he's said that I want to remember from these days:
- Mommy, you're a really good friend to me.
- But I already washed my hands with my mouth.
- This truck is broken, it needs to go to a garage sale.
- When my sister asked him what Naveen wanted for Christmas he told her: Just milk, Naveen likes milk.
- When Santa comes for your birthday Mommy, you can ask him for a present.