Thursday 17 November 2011

About Movember - can we set some boundaries?

I don’t know about Movember.

Well it’s a great cause, sure. And why not come up with a fun way to raise money to support men’s health? Lord knows it’s like pulling teeth to get them to go in for check-ups on their own. Genius when you think about it - appealing to their sensibilities while raising awareness. Kind of like hiding the baby’s antibiotics in the ice cream.

But honestly?

Do you know the level of concentration it takes to make eye-contact with some of my male colleagues lately? Without laughing out loud or cringing? I mean shouldn’t there be some guidelines? Rules like if growing a moustache takes you from urban soccer Dad to creepy-looking minivan guy in a few short weeks, then maybe consider showing your support in another way?

And do I now need to have this same conversation with Shaune every November? That growing a moustache might not be one of his strengths? That those patchy little tufts of hair sprouting on his face when he foregoes shaving cannot accurately be called a stache?

I’m not saying only the Tom Sellecks should don facial hair. I get how freeing it must be to let loose, get wild, join the Mo brotherhood. I’ve been known to let my hair down. I’m the first one to slap down my two bucks on Denim Fridays.

But hey, you don’t see me squeezing myself into a pair of low waisted skinny jeans just because it's a good cause.



14 comments:

  1. I'm so with you here. My husband does it every year. And he can grow some hair - that thing was 3 inches deep when it was all said and done. ick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mustaches are creep-tastic; my husband was growing a beard, which was totally bad enough, and I came home from work and he had shaved everything but the 'stache. Needless to say, it got immediately vetoed. Tom Selleck can pull it off though. He's dreamy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband's mustache growing abilities are such that I'd be better go look for one on Etsy-you can buy some pretty great fake ones:)

    Thanks for my first laugh of the day Kim! Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so not a fan of the mustache! Luckily my husband has never gone through such a phase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't dig the 'stache, but my husband grows a hawt beard every winter and it is knee weakening.

    I think the guys are having fun with it though! An excuse to look silly for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh! Thankfully it's for good cause. If only they could all pull it off like Tom Selleck. My dad used to have a mustache growing up until I told him, "It doesn't make you look fun Daddy." And he's never grown it back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. eeewwww! don't care for hair on a man's face. first they never keep it trimmed properly - there are often hair hanging on their lips... and then after luch there may be bits of scraps hanging on... there should be rules about care and maintenance. And now that you've reminded me what is with those little phew-man-chu things young men seem to be growing on their lower lip now days.... they are silly looking is all I got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea this was an actual thing. First I'd heard of it seems kinda cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome. I have a friend's husband that's doing this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband has never grown facial hair and refuses to. I'd never heard of Movember until recently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is kinda creepy. Our local hockey team even got in on it - look at these jerseys...
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388849_2630009597868_1484217457_2884502_456762668_n.jpg

    Who ever heard of a snake with a stache??? ick

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am ROTFL! and thanking God that my hubby can only muster a 5 o'clock shadow then his facial hair stops growing

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of our friends is doing the growing out mustache look right now. He looks like he's out of the 1970s - kind of weirds me out. Tom, though, he could SO pull it off. I saw him on Friends once without it and he still looked great, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would run for the hills if Grant grew a moustache. I would be laughing all the time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!