Tuesday 13 October 2009

Simple

The things that make me happy are quite simple. An unsolicited hug or kiss from Deaglan. Hearing him speak in almost-sentences. A belly laugh from Shaune. The smell of Deaglan’s hair. A warm meal prepared with attention and love. Time spent together with the television off. Getting the housework done. The way Deaglan says Mommie pease moe book. Fitting the whole family on our bed.

The things that make me sad are simple as well. Feeling unwelcome. Not holding Deaglan when he’s within arm’s reach. Weekends that fly by. Racism. Children starving or being hurt. Meanness.

The things that irritate the crap out of me can be simple too. People’s antiquated notions of parenthood and having to hear their opinions on how we are raising our boy. You aren’t being very subtle by the way. One uppers. A lack of self-awareness. Passive aggressive behaviour. Egomaniacs. Unannounced visits.

12 comments:

  1. Its rightly said, 'there is happiness in simple acts of life',...or something like that! But these small things are the ones that make us happy or annoy us

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the simple things truly are the best! I love your list. I agree with you on both the positives and negatives and can honestly say that nothing annoys me more than unannounced visits...come on and pick up the phone people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do also think life can be broken down to its simplest parts. Well said. I promise not to stop by unannounced any time soon! But I would love to hear those little sentences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm with you on all of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the joy of those simple pleasures. Yesterday, I took delight in watching Jillian brush her doll's hair. It was a quiet moment and she was singing along. I wasn't running around. I just stopped and "looked" at my daughter. We need to appreciate all the little moments more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been into unannounced visits either.

    I'm into simple things anymore. I like to sit down and watch movies with The Husband. Just blank out the mind and go on a journey. I need that lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you Kim. Simple is awesome when it's good things and frustrating when it's bad things.

    But let's focus on the good -
    My wonderful daughter is sitting next to me as I type this laughing at Elmo and I can snuggle up against her and show affection any time I want. I'm just trying to soak this in and savor it for when she's a smart@ss teenager telling me how uncool I am! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simple joys are the very stuff of life. But the irritating unsolicted advice givers? Screw 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gah. life is such a mixed bag of good and bad. hopefully the good outweighs the bad. hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim, I agree. Deep stuff I can brush off or by. The simple stuff is too big and ogrely. Have a great weekend. ~rick

    ReplyDelete
  11. People can be so insensitive. They can be so pushy and bothersome. But, you know what, do they really matter? Nope-I think not. What matters most is Deaglan, Shaune and You. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both God and the devil are in the details. Good and bad comes in simple forms sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!